• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2/1 basics (3S?)

#1 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-June-27, 15:01

https://www.bridgeba...b|P|mb|P|pc|H5|

After 3 (correctly explained as 5+ 3+) I hover over 4 which is the obvious bid, but no, it seems it promises the earth... so I settle for 4.
Was 3 a 1st level control in hearts in the addled and increasingly expensive brain of GiB here?

#2 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-27, 16:07

lol, nice. It definitely uses it as a spade raise; it'll bid 3 with QJx-QJxxx-x-AKxx too, and if you had bid 4 over the top, it'll see that as a cue and force you to 6.

But it seems it also temporarily uses it as a control after finding a heart fit.. to be fair, I've seen plenty of humans unsure what suit was agreed in this sequence too :) But a robot should do better.

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-June-28, 02:52

smerriman, on 2024-June-27, 16:07, said:

to be fair, I've seen plenty of humans unsure what suit was agreed in this sequence too :)

I was taught that if opener raises the 2/1 response suit, a raise of the opening suit resets trumps and invites a control-bid. I understand that as being the mainstream treatment in this situation too, which has some obvious advantages: no exceptions to remember, we know about the double fit, the spades fit may well be longer and some gadgets work better in spades.

There is nevertheless a case for playing 3 here as a control-bid in hearts (or non-serious if you invert things), particularly if your slam investigation style privileges control bidding without RKCB: indeed I do so in one partnership.
But it's not what I would expect a robot to assume and it's not what it explains either.

#4 User is offline   1175 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-June-28, 06:57

Just out of curiosity, suppose South had jumped to 4NT after 3. What suit does the explanation say that North will use for the key-card reply?

#5 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-June-28, 17:59

Spades.

#6 User is offline   pescetom 

Posted 2024-June-29, 02:05

You only asked about the explanation. There is also the question of whether it actually replies 2 keycards in spades or 3 in hearts :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users