#1 Making this 2D call undiscussed, is ...,
#2 Because of the colors, the hand is also not worth a 3D bid,
but if one wants to bid, 3D is the bid.
You will have some company, by those young and wild at heart,
..., I used to live near a hospital, where one could find lots
of peoble, that are like minded and would bid 3D- they say, it
was suprising that I was only living close by and not in the
hospital as well.
#3 6D is ok, although I would suggest to just invite.
... - You can count 6D tricks, 2 clubs, 1h, 1 ruff - this makes 10
tricks and p needs only Kxxxxx, if I count that way, than 6D seems
not only clearcut, it may even be a underbid.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#22 User is offline   jogs 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:student of the game

Posted 2011-June-15, 17:04

View Postlosercover, on 2011-June-13, 14:06, said:

I learned to play bridge a long time ago and still not comfortable with unsound 2 level vulnerable overcalls. I thought it was fair to expect a reasonable hand. My partner says she can bid when she feels like it. My fault, for not cue bidding 4S to find out if her overcall was sound. If you partner overcalled 2D, what would you do with the North hand.

You need to develop table feel. If your partner had her sound overcall, what were opponents' bidding with?? Your LHO did open 1S. Your RHO did 3S. They had to have something for their calls.

#23 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-15, 17:17

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-15, 17:04, said:

You need to develop table feel. If your partner had her sound overcall, what were opponents' bidding with?? Your LHO did open 1S. Your RHO did 3S. They had to have something for their calls.

I would much rather trust partner in these situations, especially since this is not a time when partner would ever even consider psyching. East would have made the exact same opening bid without the KQ... This is not something about table feel, it's something about how to play bridge, and the 2 overcall is not bridge.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#24 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-15, 18:07

View Postjogs, on 2011-June-15, 17:04, said:

3S is a preempt. 1S is just an opening bid. Partner can easily have 10, 11, 12 HCP with 6 diamonds. Partner also might have less than that with 7 diamonds depending on your style, and slam will probably be good. We really don't need much to make slam.

#25 User is offline   bluecalm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-15, 18:29

6 is reasonable gamble.
2 is completely ridiculous and I am a fan of light overcalls.

#26 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2011-June-16, 05:00

Even opposite this rubbish overcall, 6D has chances (clubs 3-3 and getting diamonds right.

#27 User is offline   losercover 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-20, 12:30

View Postlosercover, on 2011-June-13, 14:06, said:

I learned to play bridge a long time ago and still not comfortable with unsound 2 level vulnerable overcalls. I thought it was fair to expect a reasonable hand. My partner says she can bid when she feels like it. My fault, for not cue bidding 4S to find out if her overcall was sound. If you partner overcalled 2D, what would you do with the North hand.

Partner made her overcall because she knew we were playing against a weak pair. Assuming she passes, what should West Bid? Three spades as a limit raise probably isn't an option. West might bid 4 spades and then what can North do? With the two diamond overcall, the only decision was how high to be in diamonds.

I have been taking a couple of series on competitive bidding and it is a lof different that what I was taught many years ago. What I am learning know is to take action immediately when you may be unlikely to take action later.

#28 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-20, 18:43

View Postlosercover, on 2011-June-20, 12:30, said:

Partner made her overcall because she knew we were playing against a weak pair. Assuming she passes, what should West Bid? Three spades as a limit raise probably isn't an option. West might bid 4 spades and then what can North do?

South passes, West bids 4, North doubles for takeout and South bids 5.

View Postlosercover, on 2011-June-20, 12:30, said:

I have been taking a couple of series on competitive bidding and it is a lof different that what I was taught many years ago. What I am learning know is to take action immediately when you may be unlikely to take action later.

Yes, but if your courses teach you that overcalling 2 vulnerable on the South hand is reasonable then you may have been wasting your money, sorry.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

5 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users