BBO Discussion Forums: What do you lead? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What do you lead?

Poll: What do you lead? (35 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you lead?

1. Spade (4 votes [11.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.43%

2. Heart (15 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

3. Club (15 votes [42.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

4. I wouldn't be on lead because I bid above 3N (1 votes [2.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.86%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2011-June-17, 01:17

You are in an expert partnership, lightner doubles have been discussed, though not in this specific situation. What do you lead?

Edit: There seems to be some confusion as to what the bidding by east west means. 2 is natural and weak. 2N is an Ogust asking bid. 3 indicates a good hand and a good suit, but does not identify any specific outside strength (i.e., it does NOT either show or deny a feature in ).
Chris Gibson

#2 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-June-17, 01:24

partner's sitting on 18+ with diamonds, so I make a heart lead, it'd be tough for it to cost anything, who knows, he may have AKx or AQx and we'll really hammer them.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#3 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 04:35

I would just lead a heart.

Partner has made a penalty double with a diamond stack, don't see what this has to do with Lightner doubles - partner isn't saying 'we can beat this 3NT only if you lead your worst suit!'

BTW, what does it mean when there is a lead poll and OP votes in his own poll?
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#4 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 08:41

View Post655321, on 2011-June-17, 04:35, said:

BTW, what does it mean when there is a lead poll and OP votes in his own poll?

In this case, it means that I've been asked my opinion by a third party. I see no reason not to add my own voice to the chorus of answers; it has no bearing on what the "right" answer is.
Chris Gibson

#5 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2011-June-17, 09:01

Common for an OP to vote in his own poll. Bad form to vote early - why would you want to influence the voting?

The definition of Lightner Doubles has apparently expanded. Leading dummy's suit against 3N goes back before Lightner, so he doesn't get credit for them.

Partner wants a diamond lead. Sorry partner.

Leading a heart is passive, sure, but our chances of setting up some heart tricks needs some very specific holdings.

A spade isn't quite as passive, but we have a better chance of establishing some tricks there - which we may need to do.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-17, 13:17

I'd lead .

If pd is defeating 3 nt to my normal lead he could have considered that i may take this as lightner DBL. If u are playing lightner dbles, and if u are doubling where you previously did not take any action indicating u wanna punish them, then u either want a specific lead or u dont care what i lead and u are defeating them yourself.

How does pd know my "worst suit" to tell me that he will beat 3 nt if i dont lead it ?

Since pd passed 3 and did not bid 2 over 2, i am leading . Seems like he has a stopper and quick to establish suit and believing that our only chance is lead. He is taking a shot at it with, Q xxxx Axx KQJxx or something like that. Don't take my word for it though, again, my leads suck ! :P (OP already said is not the correct lead anyway)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   barryallen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 03:37

It all depends upon the definition of the double. If it's Lightner then the lead has to be a but that would not be my interpretation, with partner having something like 3 outside top tricks and the AQ. Or a hand where a lead does not allow the contract to make.

I would not view this double as Lightner but the nature of my hand forces me to consider as an option. For the double I would expect partner to have the stopped and the small fact it is more than likely that this will be my one and only chance to lead through dummy. If I had thought this long about it at the table, I would more than likely have led a . Because declarer has freely bid 3NT with the distinct possibility that none of dummies will contribute. So I don't see partner with something like A and KQJ109x doubling to bring the contract down. At the table I doubt I would have come up with the answer quick enough and settled for a lead.
bridge is never always a game of exact, for those times it's all about percentages, partner and the opponents.

#8 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 12:24

Ok. South had

South made a dubious choice by passing 2, but having done so, he felt that this auction was going to be clear to North - this was going down if North found the correct lead, and no lead directing double of 3, along with the information that east had good diamonds, indicated that another choice was called for. North, of course, led a spade, claiming that the double was lightner, and that it called for a spade lead.

Assign the blame.
Chris Gibson

#9 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 12:27

View PostPhil, on 2011-June-17, 09:01, said:

Common for an OP to vote in his own poll. Bad form to vote early - why would you want to influence the voting?

How does it influence the voting? You can't see the result until after you've voted, or unless you make a specific request to see results. Posting influences voting; voting just expresses an opinion for the most part, unless it influences the posting, but one vote shouldn't have that effect.
Chris Gibson

#10 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 12:30

I'm leading a to attack the side entry. Partner has under control but may not mean she has them wired.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#11 User is offline   rduran1216 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 12:48

no blame, why didn't i lead a heart if partner has this set in his hand.
Aaron Jones Unit 557

www.longbeachbridge.com

#12 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-18, 16:34

View PostPhil, on 2011-June-17, 09:01, said:

Bad form to vote early - why would you want to influence the voting?

Only influences people who look at the results before voting. I know that I've been wrong about people's general habits before, but are there really many people who do that?

I would think that much more common would be people who read all the comments and then vote.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#13 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2011-June-18, 17:42

I would have led a C. Both a S and a H lead would not seem attractive to me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#14 User is offline   barryallen 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 06:55

View PostCSGibson, on 2011-June-17, 08:41, said:

In this case, it means that I've been asked my opinion by a third party. I see no reason not to add my own voice to the chorus of answers; it has no bearing on what the "right" answer is.

With most of these kind of problems, the actual hand is not important, but a supplement. The answer has to be based upon the little know facts the opening lead has.

What is interesting about the actual hand and the bidding, is that the double is not only unsound, but decreases the chances of actually getting the contract down. Partner will have very little in his hand and if anything a K,Q or J. With the actual hand, is it a surprise that the possibility of leading become a serious option?

To get this contract down, South needs a or lead, still with no guarantees if the deliver. There are no 5 tricks off the top without partners help and I don't see the double as improving those chances but decreasing them. Without the double I would have led a on the basis of giving declarer the least help and rely on the limited access he has to dummy to finesse partner.
bridge is never always a game of exact, for those times it's all about percentages, partner and the opponents.

#15 User is offline   JLOGIC 

• 2011 Poster of The Year winner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 11:14

A spade lead is absolutely horrible, partner didn't double spades when he had a chance. And why would our 5 card suit be better than our 6 card suit anyways?

#16 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 11:21

View PostElianna, on 2011-June-18, 16:34, said:

Only influences people who look at the results before voting. I know that I've been wrong about people's general habits before, but are there really many people who do that?

I would think that much more common would be people who read all the comments and then vote.

You can't see the results before you vote, can you?
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#17 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2011-June-19, 11:24

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-June-19, 11:14, said:

A spade lead is absolutely horrible, partner didn't double spades when he had a chance. And why would our 5 card suit be better than our 6 card suit anyways?

Lurpoa is back with a vengeance!

I don't really see why a spade would be better than an heart either, and I find it hard to blame partner for doubling here... I mean, this is not a common layout, but you're gin for 5, and defending 3N undoubled really seems like it's asking for a bad board.

I think this double is often a trap pass of diamonds, and does not ask for any special lead... Just a lead that doesn't throw away 5 defensive tricks.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#18 User is offline   kayin801 

• Modern Day Trebuchet Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 14:29

View PostJLOGIC, on 2011-June-19, 11:14, said:

Yup, anything but a is horrid.

I admit we're almost lucky that we have no diamonds on this hand, cause I would have lead one if I had it! Even with opener saying he had a good suit.

That having been said, I can understand why maybe leading a diamond on this auction is a bad idea, maybe it's just too robotic of me.
I once yelled at my partner for discarding the 'wrong' card when he was subjected to a squeeze that I allowed by giving the wrong count with too high a card. Now he's allowed to pitch aces when the opponents have the king in the dummy. At trick 2. When he could have followed suit. And blame me.

East4Evil sohcahtoa 4ever!!!!!1

#19 User is offline   Elianna 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 15:26

View Postgordontd, on 2011-June-19, 11:21, said:

You can't see the results before you vote, can you?

There's a button to the side of the voting button that says show results. If you click on that you can see the results without voting.
My addiction to Mario Bros #3 has come back!

#20 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-June-19, 15:36

I voted for a club lead.

In general I don't think this is a lightner double. It's just "we're beating this" -- it suggests control of diamonds and a bunch of other tricks. These other tricks could just be in the form of a lot of high cards (as seems likely here, and was the case on the actual hand) or could be in the form of a running side suit.

If partner just has tricks it may not matter much what I lead. But if partner has a suit of his own it's almost surely clubs. There are some hand types where we need a club lead to set (i.e. say partner has the K, a major suit ace, and five good clubs missing one honor). While a heart lead is our best chance at getting down four, partner's major suit holdings on the actual hand could just as easily be the other way. However, partner having nothing in clubs given my shortage there would be quite surprising.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

16 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users