Psychic Penalty Double A Strange Beast

#1 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2011-October-14, 14:38

A humorous hand from last night...

Partner opened 2 Flannery (ugh!), white on red. With such a non-following of the 10-second pause that I could not grab the alert card before he bid, my RHO overcalled 1. While noting the alert, I also noted to RHO that his bid was insufficient. RHO now asked about 2 and was a tad concerned at this point. Out of fear, he corrected to 2 to avert any penalty.

I held Q KJxx 9xxx AQxx and decided to make a psychic penalty double of 2.

This was passed around to RHO, who now felt the heat and pulled to 3. LHO seemed obviously disturbed by this, and so I doubled again. LHO corrected back to 3, passed to me.

If partner couldn't double 3 in this context, it sure seemed wrong to me also, so I went with 4, the sane option from scratch.

LHO persisted with 4, and partner again did not double, instead bidding 5.

Now, 5 is a curious bid, for many reasons. First, passing up a double of a red 4 is odd and suggests an odd holding. Partner had to be in somewhat of a daze, however, as I had made a penalty double of a red-on-white 2, obviously without much if anything in spades, and then myself refused to double 3, instead bidding a passive 4, followed by the insolent advance to 4!

This rated to be an interesting layout, for sure, and I was right, in that partner in fact had 4/6 and diverted from expected himself, which was actually expected in the context. Plus, he seemed likely to have a void in diamonds for this development, which was accurate. But, with that hand, why no 5 cue? His clubs sucked, also expected. His hand was Kxxx AQxxxx -- Jxx.

With good defense, we could have reaped 500 doubling 4, but 5 did make. Strangely, however, my two losers ended up being the club King and a club ruff! Weird to end up that way.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-14, 15:35

My favorite flannery hand was when the opps opened 2 and it went pass - pass to me with

QJT9x, AKQJTxx, x, x

I bid 3nt, pard had me covered in the minors but after AK and another were led it was fun to claim 9 in the majors.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-14, 16:05

brilliant. you got an average board against some bunnies. i'm sure you're very proud.

#4 User is offline   BunnyGo 

• Lamentable Bunny
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-October-15, 01:13

wank, on 2011-October-14, 16:05, said:

brilliant. you got an average board against some bunnies. i'm sure you're very proud.

Us Bunnies are tough to get averages against. Normally we give away tops.

Funny hand though.
Bridge Personality: 44 44 43 34

Never tell the same lie twice. - Elim Garek on the real moral of "The boy who cried wolf"

#5 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-October-15, 02:52

:lol:

Sounds like someone was justifiably done long live bunnies :rolleyes:

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2011-October-18, 02:04

I had a hard time to convince myself to continue reading after:

kenrexford, on 2011-October-14, 14:38, said:

A humorous hand from last night...

Partner opened 2 Flannery

:P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users