• You cannot reply to this topic

1C (3D) 3H P 3S

#1 User is offline   straube 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2011-December-18, 19:17

What does this sequence show?

1C (3D) 3H P 3S

I thought it showed spades, but a good player I know says that it is a cue or temporizing bid looking for 3N; he points out that if responder has 4S and 5H he could make a negative double. Is that a good treatment? Is it standard?

#2 User is offline   jmcw 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2011-December-18, 21:08

Your friend's advice is right on for me.
Initially opener's rebid will be trying to establish the correct strain. Since you have ostensibly denied hold a suit, his bid is most likely showing a stop in , inviting you to bid 3NT with a stop.

QJx
Kx
xxx
AKJxx

However, he may well have a hand to good for an immediate raise to 4.

Ax
AQxx
xx
AKJxx

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2011-December-21, 13:26

Your partner should never have the second hand given by jmcw. That seems a clear jump to 5H. With a weaker hand partner can bid 4D.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 User is offline   whereagles 

• Interests:Everything!

Posted 2011-December-21, 16:04

View Poststraube, on 2011-December-18, 19:17, said:

1C (3D) 3H P 3S

I thought it showed spades, but a good player I know says that it is a cue or temporizing bid looking for 3N; he points out that if responder has 4S and 5H he could make a negative double. Is that a good treatment? Is it standard?

I suppose it could logically show some hand stuck for a bid, but I would NEVER use it with that meaning without previous discussion.

As a rule undiscussed bids are natural, so it's pretty reckless and irresponsible to bid based on undiscussed inferences.

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2011-December-21, 17:17

View Poststraube, on 2011-December-18, 19:17, said:

1C (3D) 3H P 3S

I am not commenting on whether it is a good treatment, but I am suggesting his argument in support of it is nonsensical. I leave for the interested reader to think about the problems his usage presents....from how to handle 4=6 hands, to what double followed by 4 over 3N or 4 would show, how to show very good hands with 4=5 or 4=6 after a double and so on.

As against these issues, there is undeniably a gain from the stall, but methinks your 'good player' didn't look too deeply into the types of hands that responder might hold.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users