#1 User is offline   Grizz1y 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2012-January-08, 13:32

I too often see players bidding like:

1C - (PASS) - 1S - (2D or 2H)
2NT

with only 13-14 hcp.

In my book, 2NT in this sequence clearly shows 18-19 hcp, since responder has only shown 6+hcp.
And with 12-14hcp balanced, you should pass after interference at the 2-level, if you dont have any other bid.

But is it normal in std system to bid 2NT above with only 13-14 hcp?

#2 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2012-January-08, 13:40

Hi!

Welcome to the forums.

You are 100% correct 2NT shows 18-19. If you have a minimum balanced hand, you just pass (unless you can raise partner, of course).

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-08, 18:48

This depends on your NT range. When playing weak NT, you might play that 2NT is 15-17 (or 15-19). It is more common to double here with a strong NT, but that has some problems too, for instance that partner doesn't know whether you have a strong NT or a more classic TO shape.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, sailing (yachts and dinghies),

Posted 2012-January-11, 08:06

With my old partner we played that 2NT with flat 12-14 was mandatory IF we had a stopper in ops bid suit.

Yes it might mean playing 1NT with 18HCP but it seemed to pay off more often than not, especially at MPs. With 18/19 its time for a thin 3NT.

I wouldn't do it without prior agreement though.

#5 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 10:36

View PostVampyr, on 2012-January-08, 18:48, said:

This depends on your NT range. When playing weak NT, you might play that 2NT is 15-17 (or 15-19). It is more common to double here with a strong NT, but that has some problems too, for instance that partner doesn't know whether you have a strong NT or a more classic TO shape.

15-19 is unplayable since partner has not shown values for game opposite 15. What is he supposed to do with 7-8 points opposite a 2NT rebid showing 15-19?

But if 2NT without the interference would be 18-19 (in a weak NT system) it makes some sense to play it as 17-18 here. With 15-16, just pass. Or double, if your hand fits whatever criteria you have for a double in this position.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#6 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2012-January-11, 14:14

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-January-11, 08:06, said:

With my old partner we played that 2NT with flat 12-14 was mandatory IF we had a stopper in ops bid suit.

Yes it might mean playing 1NT with 18HCP but it seemed to pay off more often than not, especially at MPs. With 18/19 its time for a thin 3NT.

ITYM "playing 2NT with 18HCP".

Why not just wait for partner to reopen? If you have enough for 2NT he'll balance; if he's minimum he'll pass and you don't get too high.

#7 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 15:39

View Postbarmar, on 2012-January-11, 14:14, said:

ITYM "playing 2NT with 18HCP".

Why not just wait for partner to reopen? If you have enough for 2NT he'll balance; if he's minimum he'll pass and you don't get too high.

Not sure about the method, I'd just started playing and he supplied some system notes that said it was mandatory to bid NT at the lowest available level with 12-14 after opening. Obviously not too high.

I don't play it now as he has moved on, but it seemed to work, although we got caught a couple of times.

#8 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 19:10

Some professional bridge teachers in the LA area were bidding/teaching this 2N bid on 12-14. They got very upset when I suggested it should be 18-19.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#9 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-11, 19:21

View Postawm, on 2012-January-11, 19:10, said:

Some professional bridge teachers in the LA area were bidding/teaching this 2N bid on 12-14. They got very upset when I suggested it should be 18-19.

This seems to be more of a reflection on the quality of professional bridge teachers in the L.A. area. Oh, for the ones of old (50's to 70's) in the same region.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#10 User is offline   SimonFa 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 11:13

View Postaguahombre, on 2012-January-11, 19:21, said:

This seems to be more of a reflection on the quality of professional bridge teachers in the L.A. area. Oh, for the ones of old (50's to 70's) in the same region.

To be clear, we only bid NT at the 2-level if the 1-level had been taken away.

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-12, 12:53

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-January-12, 11:13, said:

Just because 1 level is taken away doesnt give you free pass to bid NT at 2 level.

And this question OP asked is NOT a matter of style either.

1--1 whatever = 5+ hcp (some do it with much weaker hands as well)

now this is pure and simple bridge logic, why on earth one would want to bid 2NT with 13 or 14 hcp vs his pd's 5 hcp ? To show that he has 13 hcp incase pd didnt see we open ?

You dont have to be a bridge theorician or einstein to figure 2NT with 13-14 is ridicilious.

This is not like making a preempt, 2 NT is very easy to DBL contract. You have a balanced hand and no fit to run. Even if u run and find a fit it will be at 3 level probably balanced vs balanced. Once one of them make a 2/1 overcall with 11-12 other will easily dbl 2NT with his 10+. And once u guys are doubled at 2 NT u are in probably auto DBL path.

Congrats, you just expressed your hand perfectly by bidding 2 NT. Pd already knew u had 13 hcp and now you told him u have an honor in their suit too, ending in playing 2NT doubled or 3 something doubled for a 4-3 or 4-4 fit if u are lucky. Even worse, now that u play this 2 NT 13-14, u have to jump to 3NT with 18-19 hcp hands, totally preempting your side when u guys actually have the ongoing values.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-January-19, 02:56

View PostSimonFa, on 2012-January-12, 11:13, said:

as others have pointed out, bidding 2NT on these auctions with 12-14 is totally wrong, not just a question of style. it happens to be very common among weak players who don't understand bidding theory though.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users