• You cannot reply to this topic

Quite high

#21 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2013-March-12, 03:10

View Posthan, on 2013-March-11, 14:30, said:

I can't speak for others, but I certainly don't want to play it that way. What you are saying is probably close to "I'd like to bid on unless you want to defend", but less constructively formulated. I would like to play this double for penalties though.

I probably didn't explain it very well. I meant that the message would be "I was going to bid game to make (or maybe show a strong invitation), I think we have the high card strength to beat this, and I don't know whether we should bid on or not." That's probably the same as an "Ownership" or a "DSIP" double.

LallDonn said:

How would you define the situation in which this agreement applies?

How about this rule: it applies whenever the doubler is unlimited, it's possible for us to have game on, we're not in a forcing pass, and the double isn't defined as something else.

PhilKing said:

I'm going to guess Andy plays it as an 79, where that reflects the percentage of the time partner will leave it in.

That seems like a reasonable number. (By the way, have you inverted your classification method? I thought you defined them in terms of frequency of being taken out.)

The actual hand was approximately:

which is remarkably close to one of PhilKing's constructions (though he didn't mention 9, which might be important against very good defenders).

I bid 5 which made on a black-suit squeeze. Afterwards I commented that I if I'd doubled that would just have said we were making 4, and partner would have pulled because of his high ODR. Everyone nodded wisely, but they didn't look completely convinced.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#22 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 03:55

View Postgnasher, on 2013-March-12, 03:10, said:

I bid 5 which made on a black-suit squeeze. Afterwards I commented that I if I'd doubled that would just have said we were making 4, and partner would have pulled because of his high ODR. Everyone nodded wisely, but they didn't look completely convinced.

For a start it is non-trivial to make a double in tempo at the table - I'm sure most of us gave this hand some thought that probably exceeded ten seconds.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#23 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 04:19

View Postpaulg, on 2013-March-12, 03:55, said:

For a start it is non-trivial to make a double in tempo at the table - I'm sure most of us gave this hand some thought that probably exceeded ten seconds.

Isn't that another argument for playing it as non-penalty? A slow "DSIP" double doesn't convey as much UI as a slow penalty double.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#24 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 05:26

View Postgnasher, on 2013-March-12, 04:19, said:

Isn't that another argument for playing it as non-penalty? A slow "DSIP" double doesn't convey as much UI as a slow penalty double.

Isn't a slow DSIP double really showing han's penalty double :)
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#25 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 08:23

I want to know how gnasher would define it. i'm genuinely curious since it is an idea that may have merit.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#26 User is offline   lalldonn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-12, 08:25

Oh sorry on my phone i didn't see all the replies. I guess I just don't want to be barred from doubling if I don't have support is the problem.
"What's the big rebid problem? After 1♦ - 1♠, I can rebid 1NT, 2♠, or 2♦."
- billw55

#27 User is offline   jeannief 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2013-March-13, 18:45

What to do if opps bid 6D over 5H.

#28 User is offline   dake50 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-March-13, 19:56

"Who is righty? What methods do they play?" --PhilKing

*** Who is partner? Does 2H in a 2-suits forcing auction
show 1xS +6+H +no honor save DA under 1D bid? So, C-stuff?
If he is that disciplined, 5H is near to making on our
double fit with crissed shorts.

"I've talked myself into 5."

*** Me too.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users