GIB raises 5m to 6... again

#1 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-October-13, 08:46

2NT was unusual, 3 was a preference.
the X of 3 was takeout for the majors, redouble showed a strong unusual NT.
4 showed "4+ spades, 8- total points" (it had 3 points and 6 spades to the ten).
5 showed 29-30 points! How often am I going to have 29-30 points and settle for 5 with 5-5 distribution and a clear preference from partner?
For that matter, how often am I going to have 29-30 points when east opened and north is looking at 5 HCP?
GIB raises to 6 because we apparently have 34-35 combined points.
I held - Kxx AKQTx AQxxx by the way. I only need a rounded-suit honor to make 5 a good contract.
Become yourself.

#2 User is offline   GreenMan 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2013-October-13, 09:03

For that matter how often are you going to have 29 HCP in any 5-5 hand? You'd need AKQJx AKQJx AKQ just to get to 29. (The max for any 5-5 hand is 31 HCP, and I'm a bit amused that there might be a different bid to show that. :P )
If you put an accurate skill level in your profile, you get a bonus 5% extra finesses working. --johnu

#3 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2013-October-13, 09:40

View PostGreenMan, on 2013-October-13, 09:03, said:

For that matter how often are you going to have 29 HCP in any 5-5 hand? You'd need AKQJx AKQJx AKQ just to get to 29. (The max for any 5-5 hand is 31 HCP, and I'm a bit amused that there might be a different bid to show that. :P )

It's total points.
you could have as little as - AKQ AKQxx AKJxx and have 29 :P
Become yourself.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-04, 17:42

Since OP didn't get a reply, I'll bump it and add a similar hand...

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2014-August-04, 20:42

It is not a difficult bridge concept that one often will bid a game in situations like these without a virtual guarantee of success. It might even be intended as a sacrifice, or a two-way action (may make, may be a good sac) These massive point count requirements for bidding game after partner has shown a suit or a preference, even without promising values, MUST stop. A little reality please! Do the developers not get how ridiculous and embarrassing (for them) these sorts of GIB actions are? Yet we have been reporting this problem for months and nothing is done.

How about programming this into GIB. If partner bids game in a competitive auction, he is hoping for or counting on you for a little something. So SHUT THE HELL UP and pass unless you have real, undisclosed extras in working points and/or distribution.

I guarantee you we would get better results with those parameters than the ones we currently are subjected to.

Yes I realize that last bit isn't realistic. I'm not a programmer. But please do something.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users