Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rebid?

#1 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2014-January-13, 22:49

Assume IMPs, though if your answer would change if it were MPs, please explain why.

2/1 GF, 1 only promises 4+ .

"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2014-January-13, 23:25

Pass. The hand looks misfitting and pd has not made a great show of strength.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 06:17

If partner had available a bid to show strength, such as 2 with almost any 15+hcp, then pass.
If partner's 2 could be a 17 count, then 2NT. Such imprecise methods need flexibility.

#4 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2014-January-14, 06:48

Playing MP, pass is a valid option.

At IMPs I would say, that I have to make another try. Pass gets more attractive,
if you open regular open light.

what to bid: I guess I have to go either with 2NT or with 3D, I would go with
2NT, but ...

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 08:33

I would bid 3. Partner's failure to rebid 2 almost guarantees two cards in a pointed suit, and often three. What's the worst that can happen? Partner is 1714, bids 3 and plays it there? Not the end of the world nonvul.

edit: I think I just realized the problem with this. lol

View PostfromageGB, on 2014-January-14, 06:17, said:

If partner's 2 could be a 17 count ...

This sounds weird to me, do people really play this way?
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 08:42

View Postbillw55, on 2014-January-14, 08:33, said:

I thought this was a pretty standard top end value for those not playing a Gazzilli type artificial rebid. How strong do you need to be to jump to 3? Any weaker than 17/18 and it makes contracts very flaky opposite a minimum non-fitting partner - like this one without the Ace of clubs.

#7 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-14, 08:51

Is your style with 6-4 to rebid 2 or 2m ?

Qx, QJ109xx, KJ, KJ10 for example is no great hand but will make 3N, a bigger danger is something like Ax, QJ9xxx, AJxx, x if you rebid 2 with this where if all goes well you could conceivably make 13 tricks in diamonds rather than 9 in hearts and 5 is probably where you want to be.

3 is a serious overbid, I'd bid 2N.

#8 User is offline   bigbenvic 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 09:34

If I continue on it has to be 3d as 2nt might get partner to jump to 4 expecting some trumps in my hand. Partner could have a 3622 and 4 is a good show. Or it could all go pear shaped!

Imps I will give it a go for the game bonus is worth a little stretch and at pairs scoring I think I will pass as the risk/reward isn't that great.

#9 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 09:46

Pass, I expect this to be unanimous.

#10 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 11:57

We don't play Gazzilli or Bart, so 1 could be up to a 16 (rarely a 17 count). I admit this isn't the best, but I was playing what partner knew.

All 12+ HCP hands are opened, otherwise rule of 20.

With 6-4m, it depends. Generally with extra strength or a good side-suit, we rebid the minor. If the side suit is garbage (Jxxx or worse) and the Heart suit is really good, then 2.

With 3-6, partner usually rebids Hearts, but can support Spades with shortness and/or nice Spades and bad Hearts. With 3-6-(0-4) I would hope partner doesn't rebid Hearts, but we don't play that often together.
"It's not enough to win the tricks that belong to you. Try also for some that belong to the opponents."

"Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself."

"One advantage of bad bidding is that you get practice at playing atrocious contracts."

-Alfred Sheinwold

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 18:57

View Postbillw55, on 2014-January-14, 08:33, said:

Yes, especially if they are too strict with the suit quality and/or spots they jump with. You can check the past topics and you will see we have a lot of people who are strict on this and there are others who can jump with AQxxxx,setting the priority to the invitation limit instead of suit quality.

View Postbigbenvic, on 2014-January-14, 09:34, said:

If I continue on it has to be 3d as 2nt might get partner to jump to 4 expecting some trumps in my hand.

I don't think 2 NT promise any hearts at all. There are a lot of hands with 0-1 hearts and 11-12 hcps, which can not make GF, and where pass could be underbid. And with doubleton hearts, responder could have raised hearts himself after pd promised 6 of them.

But the hand we hold now is much closer to pass than 2 NT. I would pass.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-14, 22:39

I'm bidding 3. Game is still not out of the question and unless partner has a semi-solid heart suit, there is very likely a better spot than this. It could be 5, 4, 3NT or a part-score in any of 4 different strains (excluding clubs).

If he comes back 3, I'm finished... and not sure what I'd do if it goes 3 doubled back to me. I would probably stick it.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-15, 05:37

View PostHighLow21, on 2014-January-14, 22:39, said:

I'm bidding 3. Game is still not out of the question and unless partner has a semi-solid heart suit, there is very likely a better spot than this. It could be 5, 4, 3NT or a part-score in any of 4 different strains (excluding clubs).

If he comes back 3, I'm finished... and not sure what I'd do if it goes 3 doubled back to me. I would probably stick it.

Isn't 3 GF so 3 doesn't have to be minimum ?

#14 User is offline   Lord Molyb 

• Slightly less bad player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge

Posted 2014-January-15, 13:02

2NT
Become yourself.

#15 User is offline   chasetb 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 03:48

I was playing with Wbridge5 at the time. The auction it wanted had West barging in with 2 after 1, then a support X and a jump to game by South. After forcing West to pass again, here's the auction and the hands:

To be honest, I would probably pass at the table. It's interesting that both 4 and 4 makes. I know someone posted awhile back about opening 4 on these kinds of hands, and it pays off in spades here (horrible pun intended). Looking through the posts on here, I came up with an idea, probably a bad one but maybe worth exploring. For this, I am assuming the partnership isn't willing to change 1-1 to 5+ .

If the hand in question was able to show at least 5-4 and INV+ values, then this thin game might be reached. I am thinking that 3 by responder would definitely do the trick. Since this hurts the GF Spades-Clubs hands, then I also suggest putting 5-5 black hands into 2, but only making it forcing for 1 round. So, you get the auction 1-2 ; 2 - 2 as INV+ , but initially only promising 4 Spades. Partner would show 3-card support via 2NT, and it still is reached.

-Alfred Sheinwold

#16 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-16, 04:09

View Postchasetb, on 2014-January-16, 03:48, said:

It's interesting that both 4 and 4 makes. I know someone posted awhile back about opening 4 on these kinds of hands, and it pays off in spades here (horrible pun intended).

So the only options with the North hand are

1) open 4

2) rebid 2(!) when partner responds 1?

What is wrong with rebidding 4 when partner responds 1?
I frankly admit my game bids are not underwritten by Lloyds.
If I am recovering from a long depression I might rebid only 3 to give partner a chance to pass with a misfit and minimum values.

Rainer Herrmann

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2014-January-16, 04:44

View Postchasetb, on 2014-January-16, 03:48, said:

If the hand in question was able to show at least 5-4 and INV+ values, then this thin game might be reached.

Why are the diamonds necessary? I can show an invite with 5+ spades via 1 - 1(relay); 1NT(min) - 2, after which it is easy. As with Rainer, I far prefer 1 - 1; 4 than a direct 4 opening. Many also use gadgets to be able to show a 1-suiter with 3 card support, which would also be the route in my system if a card is transferred from South to North (1 - 1NT(, NF); 2NT(3, INV) - 4).
(-: Zel :-)

#18 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2014-January-16, 04:47

We play a style where a 3 rebid shows 6.5-7 playing tricks so this would be a 3 rebid for us (we play a weak no trump and use 2N as a GF unbalanced rebid for really big hands). We would reach game, probably 4.

#19 User is offline   HighLow21 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2014-January-19, 20:14

View PostCyberyeti, on 2014-January-15, 05:37, said:

Isn't 3 GF so 3 doesn't have to be minimum ?

Depends on your system. Not in mine. I would play it was 10+ HCP with at best a spot-doubleton in hearts, and usually 5-5 in spades in diamonds. It's screaming to play something other than hearts.
There is a big difference between a good decision and a good result. Let's keep our posts about good decisions rather than "gotcha" results!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users