• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Not so well guessed, N/S

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-October-24, 05:24

MP, instant, 34

2S is possibly a bit of an overbid. Mea culpa. I see that it promises a 4th Spade that I lack, but I don't see the point of that limitation. It is not as if North is going to have 4 Spades for the 1N bid. Otherwise I am within the described range.

But what is with the 3D? I took it as encouraging, and he could hardly have a less encouraging hand.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-October-24, 07:19

It's also curious that the 2 bid also assigns you a fourth club, giving you specifically 4504 shape. What is our specific suggestion as to what 2 should show?

Consistent with the description, 3 should show game interest in hearts. (I presume 2N shows interest in 3N.) Unfortunately, it appears that North has taken 1 point for his doubleton... in trump! I don't think we're ever going to get GIB to discount his K opposite partner's supposed void.

#3 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-24, 09:58

I think Gib have no problem.
3 is a encouraging bid,but it needs your correct judgement. No fit,no tricks ! Facing to partner's 4-card ,you shuold know this is a worse fit,rebid 3 to sign off.
If I play this hand,after 2,I will bid 3 to invite game,rebid-2 is not correct description.

Guess is a worse part of this game,so avoid final guess.

#4 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-October-24, 16:32

Since 2 can't be passed Gib has to bid something. If they had 10 pts it wouldn't have bid 2 so Gib has a good hand fo it's bidding so far. Sure Gib might have bid 2N but with you are apparently void in so I don't think it has good enough stoppers.
3 is the safety value if you can't punt game
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#5 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-October-24, 17:52

P.S.

2 involves a blind spot,its explanations are not appropriate.
It is a picture bid,showing 4-6 distribution on majors,if 5-4 distribution,opener should promise exact 17 hcp.
Here it needs to improve in the future.

#6 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-October-24, 17:58

View Postlycier, on 2015-October-24, 17:52, said:

P.S.

2 involves a blind spot,its explanations are not appropriate.
It is a picture bid,showing 4-6 distribution on majors,if 5-4 distribution,opener should promise exact 17 hcp.
Here it needs to improve in the future.

Do you mean 1-1N-2 or
1-1N-2-2
??

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#7 User is offline   lycier 

Posted 2015-October-24, 19:05

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-October-24, 17:58, said:

Do you mean 1-1N-2 or
1-1N-2-2
??

No.

The sequences of this hand: 1-1N- 2- 2- 2

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-October-25, 07:53

View Postlycier, on 2015-October-24, 09:58, said:

I think Gib have no problem.
3 is a encouraging bid,but it needs your correct judgement. No fit,no tricks ! Facing to partner's 4-card ,you shuold know this is a worse fit,rebid 3 to sign off.
If I play this hand,after 2,I will bid 3 to invite game,rebid-2 is not correct description.

Guess is a worse part of this game,so avoid final guess.

This comment is just wrong, in my view.

There are only two options over 2H: Pass or 2S. 3H has the disadvantage of (1) indicating a 6th Spade that you lack, and (2) concealing a diamond shortage that you hold. If you are asking North to make what you expect to be the last guess, he might as well do it based on an accurate picture of your hand.

Bidding at all over 2S may be against the odds, but 4H is just about in reach opposite a maximum without wasted Diamond values. Sure a diamond force and bad trump break may still beat it. Swap North's Diamond King with one of his small Spades and I would want to be in 4H, and North is not even maximum values. Give partner a full 10 count, quite possible on the auction, and good Diamond intermediates and I would want to be in 3N. Bidding 2S guides you to either option when it is appropriate (at the obvious risk of overreaching when 2H is the limit).

The main problem on this hand is 3D is poorly defined, but it *should* be encouraging, where on this occasion he has no business encouraging. Quite what it should show in the context of an encouraging hand I am not sure, which may have contributed to my poor choice over it.

And if you think that game interest by South over 2H is optimistic, compare and contrast North's hand on this one:

MP, Instant, 34
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-October-25, 09:57

well this last one you posted is just outright bug; clear 3s bid. Holding 3 cd support HCP max should be 6 at most. 3cd support supposed to decide between direct raise, no 1ntf, and 3 cd limit raise. Don't see why GIB thinks it shows 8-10.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

7 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users