• You cannot reply to this topic

A nasty result

#1 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, hiking, cycling, gardening, weight training

Posted 2019-December-15, 14:47

Matchpoints, partnering a novice.

Making +1 for a 75% board NS. What would happen if I had jumped to 3 over the double I don't know, but I didn't feel the hand was quite offensive enough. It looks to me that North overbid, South underbid, together they miss a good spade game, yet my partner and I get punished for it. The other scores are 4(S)-1, 3(N)=, 4(W)-2, 4(S)=, 3(W)=, 3(S)+1.

It is hard enough getting even an average result overall when punished for our mistakes, without getting punished for the opponents mistakes as well. :lol: :rolleyes:

#2 User is online   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-15, 15:25

You really are harsh on your partners and opponents :)

South underbid, but you can't hope to always profit from that in a mediocre room.
I think partner did well for a novice.

#3 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-15, 15:36

pescetom, on 2019-December-15, 15:25, said:

You really are harsh on your partners and opponents :)

South underbid, but you can't hope to always profit from that in a mediocre room.
I think partner did well for a novice.

I haven't blamed my partner, I was East and had the decision to bid 2 or 3. My partner played no part in this poor result. I am merely venting frustration.

#4 User is offline   FelicityR 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2019-December-15, 17:44

I (and I am sure others, too) have encountered this scenario at the bridge table many times over the years. When the quality of the room is less than average, underbidding can sometimes result in good results for the opponents simply because if they could bid sensibly and reach the optimum contract their playing skills will often let them down trying to make that contract.

I remember playing a team match many years ago against a team of "little old ladies" (as my husband calls them, though I am approaching "little old lady-ness" myself these days) who underbid several boards and beat us 20-0. When the dust had settled all I could say to my teammates at the time was "Shall we retire to the bar?" (as there was a break).

The captain of our team replied, "I think I'll retire to the bar for the rest of the tournament after that one [round]".

#5 User is offline   Tramticket 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 02:34

You will likely make 8 tricks in a diamond contract (no reason to drop the singleton king). So you don't have a profitable sacrifice over 4 and you are lucky that your opponents have chosen not to bid game - as others have pointed out.

What should you do, as East, over 1 Dbl? This might depend on system: (1) say you play a four-card major system and tend to open the major with two four-card suits - then the 1 opening promises at least four diamonds and will often be a five-card suit. I play this system and would probably make a preemptive raise to 3. (2) say you play a five-card major based system and your 1 opening will frequently be a four-card suit and sometimes a three-card suit - then I suggest that raising to 2 is ample.

There is a better case for west to compete to 4 with this six-card suit. But the danger is that it might push the opps into their making game - very likely on the actual hands.

#6 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 04:19

You got a bad result because at other tables somebody went off in 4 and somebody in 4 didn't get doubled. There will be boards you can do a lot more about.

#7 User is offline   KingCovert 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 11:45

I must say, your hand looks awfully bare for a 2 raise. Playing with a new partner, that's also a novice, this doesn't really describe your hand at all. This usually shows some defense. That being said, not sure I really want to raise 3 with such a flat hand, so I understand your problem.

Seems that, given the results at the other tables, bidding 2 was probably the only way to lose this hand so dramatically. Doesn't mean it was wrong though, to be fair.

#8 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 12:49

I probably pass with your hand and then come in with diamonds at the three level or lower if I get the chance. That would seem to describe your hand. I don't like the immediate raise to 2D because (i) your hand is ridiculously bad, so you will cringe if your partner bids more than 3D or makes a penalty X later on and (ii) you don't want your partner leading diamonds unless he had a natural diamond lead anyway.

Yes, North overbid; he should X again the second time round. Yes, South underbid; he should bid 2S over 2D immediately; having failed to do that, he should bid 4S over 3D.

Hey, sometimes you get fixed. That's the game.

#9 User is offline   dsLawsd 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 15:18

Unlucky- but a pass seems better. Unless you feel like psyching a 1NT call you are going to be at the mercy of the field. Personally I would want to be in a spade partial unless I suspect partner has a 5 card suit. The Dia K is not pulling much weight. If the spade T is triple then 4 can go down on a later upper cut.

Of course, if S correctly bids 2 then game sounds good- above 50%. But a spade part score with superior declarer play rates to score 60% in a good field.

A wonderful matchpoint problem kind sir!

#10 User is offline   pigpenz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 15:33

partner underbid by not bidding 2spades over 2diamonds and should have bid 4spades after the cue bid.

I dont know what you were playing in I play in some indies for fun and cant believe what people dont understand about bidding....there are no real results in some of these events. You can only compare your results by playing in a good field.

#11 User is offline   AL78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 17:21

miamijd, on 2019-December-16, 12:49, said:

I probably pass with your hand and then come in with diamonds at the three level or lower if I get the chance. That would seem to describe your hand. I don't like the immediate raise to 2D because (i) your hand is ridiculously bad, so you will cringe if your partner bids more than 3D or makes a penalty X later on and (ii) you don't want your partner leading diamonds unless he had a natural diamond lead anyway.

Yes, North overbid; he should X again the second time round. Yes, South underbid; he should bid 2S over 2D immediately; having failed to do that, he should bid 4S over 3D.

Hey, sometimes you get fixed. That's the game.

I tend to raise partner immediately if I have support in a competitive auction, even on thin hands. On this hand it has some mild pre-emptive value in preventing West from bidding their major at the one level. If I were West, I would have bid 2S which East would raise to game. If my partner raises my one level opening over a double I am not playing them to have much defence.

#12 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 18:01

All white, with opps in the bidding, with a (32)44 hand, playing 4 card majors, I think 2 is automatic on a 0 count. Your partner needs to know your Law Total more than they need to know your strength - because -100 beats -140 just the same as +110 beats +100.

If partner can't count on you to always raise with 4, then partner is going to start making phantom sacs in the hope that you have 4.

#13 User is offline   miamijd 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-16, 18:42

AL78, on 2019-December-16, 17:21, said:

I tend to raise partner immediately if I have support in a competitive auction, even on thin hands. On this hand it has some mild pre-emptive value in preventing West from bidding their major at the one level. If I were West, I would have bid 2S which East would raise to game. If my partner raises my one level opening over a double I am not playing them to have much defence.

A single raise of a minor over a double doesn't show much, but it ought to show something beyond four pieces. You have absolutely no offense at all. No useful high cards (C honors may or may not be useful); no particularly useful shape; your D support is lousy. A raise ought to be slightly better than this. If your 4 HCP were the Ad, so that you had Axxx of D and out, I could stand a D raise.

Beyond that, a 2D bid has absolutely no preemptive value at all. The bidding isn't going to die at 2D. If advancer passes and your partner has a minimum, then doubler is going to X again or else bid a suit.

All the 2D bid does is provide advancer a convenient way to distinguish bad hands (he will pass) and 6-9+ hands with a major (he will bid 2M). Here, advancer will bid 2S. Doubler can now bid 3D to force game, and then it will go 3S - 4S.

If you pass the X, advancer will bid 1S. Doubler now has a major, major headache. He is no longer good enough to cue bid, as advancer could be broke. It will actually be much more difficult for the opponents, oddly enough.

#14 User is offline   msjennifer 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket,Photography,Paediatrics and Community Medicine.

Posted 2019-December-17, 00:31

Sir,I personally feel it is unfair to blame either N or S FOR TOO OBVIOUS REASONS.As regards the score of 75% just assume it was not your day !

#15 User is offline   akwoo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2019-December-17, 00:50

The problem with passing first is that then you will frequently have to decide whether to come back in at the 3 level or let them play 2M - and you have to do this without knowing whether there are 15 total tricks (4-4 for you, 4-3 for them) or 18 total tricks (5-4 for you, 5-4 for them). Bidding right away gives partner the information to make this decision.

Yes, sometimes it helps them figure out their strength and find their game, but we're playing MPs, not IMPs, and the part score battle is a lot more frequent - especially keeping in mind that partner can't be 12-14 balanced.

Notice that, if North and South swap a spade for a heart - and that distribution is slightly more likely than the distribution they have - then the 2 bid makes things harder (not impossible, but harder) for them.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users