• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it

#501 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2020-April-28, 21:56

View Postjohnu, on 2020-April-28, 17:11, said:

I would ignore anything that pilowsky/thepossum/[insert nom de jour] has to say. You have a lot more to offer than he does.

with likes by sfi and shyams

and

sfi said:

+1

Kindly retract these, the three of you. What is going on. A personal attack against me and I have nothing to do with Pilowsky. At least I only write about things I am trained in and knowledgeable about. And I do not change my alias and have nothing to do with Pilowsky. This is disgusting attack. How many more of you are involved in this disgusting ad hominem and disgraceful attacks against me personally and professionally. What a disgusting group of people. Who do you think you are. I have put up with years of the most disgrarceful and disgusting attacks and behaviour on this site and on some of the table in the club. You are just the latest to display a total lack of knowledge of decent behaviour - personally and professionally. Take it down please. Do you want me to go arounnd and mouthing you all the time. Who do you think you are?

WTF. In one circle of humanity do you think this behaviour is appropriate. Making disgraceful accusations. Involving yourself in the ongoing bullying. Implying that I change my alias. Suggesting I am in any way associated with some other user. WTF

And in addition to deleting it I request a full retraction and an apology for this disgraceful attack

Oh and PS I'm wondering what the assumption of the two of us being the same and insulting both of us says about the 3 involved

#502 User is online   smerriman 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 22:18

Keep going, I just need one more 'ad hominem' to mark off and I have bingo!

#503 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 22:25

View Postsmerriman, on 2020-April-28, 22:18, said:

Keep going, I just need one more 'ad hominem' to mark off and I have bingo!

Please dont get involved. This is nothing to do with you. ok. I'm defending myself against a disgraceful attack after years of disgraceful attacks. And what is going on on this thread is the worst yet. I have neve had any problems with your behaviour or comments to date. Please

#504 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 22:28

I agree, retract what you said about thepossum
Non legit hoc

#505 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 22:36

Do any of the people on this site have the smallest idea about the damage they can cause to a professional person's life - personally or professionally by constant attacks like these

Do you not all think at times like these, especially at times like these we need trusted knwoledgeable voices who stand up and discuss issues they are competent to comment on. Do you not realise the damage you can cause by undermining professional voices

Do people not think that some of us are already under so much stress in our personal and professional lives that such attacks are hardly constructive at all

Do you know how many people could be damaged. How many organsiations by attacking people, undermining them, causing them so much anxiety and stress when needing to, unnecessarily defend themselves.

This is supposed to be a place of recreation. One of the few places I can come withoout stress

#506 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 22:51

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-April-28, 22:28, said:

Thankyou Paul. I apologise for my initial reaction before I realised who was behind it all. Thankyou

#507 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-28, 23:15

View Postthepossum, on 2020-April-28, 21:50, said:

I would request you take this down Pilowsky. You are a disgrace posting a comment attacking me, and continuing the two earlier attacks by johnu and sfi.This is disgusting attack. How many more of you are involved in this disgusting ad hominem and disgraceful attacks against me personally and professionally. What a disgusting group of people. Who do you think you are. I have put up with years of the most disgrarceful and disgusting attacks and behaviour on this site and on some of the table in the club. You are just the latest to display a total lack of knowledge of decent behaviour - personally and professionally. Take it down please. Do you really want to be associated with the two who attacked me and have been involved in the attacks on here for years

View Postthepossum, on 2020-April-28, 21:56, said:

Kindly retract these, the three of you. What is going on. A personal attack against me and I have nothing to do with Pilowsky. At least I only write about things I am trained in and knowledgeable about. And I do not change my alias and have nothing to do with Pilowsky. This is disgusting attack. How many more of you are involved in this disgusting ad hominem and disgraceful attacks against me personally and professionally. What a disgusting group of people. Who do you think you are. I have put up with years of the most disgrarceful and disgusting attacks and behaviour on this site and on some of the table in the club. You are just the latest to display a total lack of knowledge of decent behaviour - personally and professionally. Take it down please. Do you want me to go arounnd and mouthing you all the time. Who do you think you are?

WTF. In one circle of humanity do you think this behaviour is appropriate. Making disgraceful accusations. Involving yourself in the ongoing bullying. Implying that I change my alias. Suggesting I am in any way associated with some other user. WTF

And in addition to deleting it I request a full retraction and an apology for this disgraceful attack

Oh and PS I'm wondering what the assumption of the two of us being the same and insulting both of us says about the 3 involved

View Postpilowsky, on 2020-April-28, 22:28, said:

View Postthepossum, on 2020-April-28, 22:36, said:

Do any of the people on this site have the smallest idea about the damage they can cause to a professional person's life - personally or professionally by constant attacks like these

Do you not all think at times like these, especially at times like these we need trusted knwoledgeable voices who stand up and discuss issues they are competent to comment on. Do you not realise the damage you can cause by undermining professional voices

Do people not think that some of us are already under so much stress in our personal and professional lives that such attacks are hardly constructive at all

View Postthepossum, on 2020-April-28, 22:51, said:

Thankyou Paul. I apologise for my initial reaction before I realised who was behind it all. Thankyou

QFP :lol:

#508 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2020-April-29, 19:30

View Postthepossum, on 2020-April-28, 22:36, said:

IMHO, little to none.

I don't think most of us know who you are in real life. And I doubt anyone you deal with in your private and professional activities outside the forum reads the forum. This is not Facebook or Twitter.

If people were judged in private by their demeanor in our forum, I think hrothgar would be in trouble. He's often an a-hole here.

#509 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-April-30, 06:43

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-29, 19:30, said:

If people were judged in private by their demeanor in our forum, I think hrothgar would be in trouble. He's often an a-hole here.

And if BBO cared at all about the standards of their moderators / Yellows Barry would have been sacked for outright incompetence ages ago
Alderaan delenda est

#510 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-30, 07:26

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-29, 19:30, said:

Humans are deuterostomes which means that when they develop in the womb the anus forms before any other opening.
This means that at one time you were nothing more than an asshole.
Some people never develop beyond this stage.

#511 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-April-30, 15:46

View Posthrothgar, on 2020-April-30, 06:43, said:

And if BBO cared at all about the standards of their moderators / Yellows Barry would have been sacked for outright incompetence ages ago

And replaced with who?

#512 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-April-30, 16:43

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-30, 15:46, said:

And replaced with who?

In all seriousness, we'd be better off with no one rather than your idiosyncratic whim's d'jour.

It is nice to see you throwing around expressions like "asshole".
Need to remember that next time you're complaining about language or tone...
Alderaan delenda est

#513 User is offline   Chas_P 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-April-30, 18:40

View Postbarmar, on 2020-April-30, 15:46, said:

And replaced with who?

Hang in there Barry. I admire you for what you've had to deal with in the last month or so with the mass influx of new players, virtual clubs, etc. on BBO. Don't let terminal adolescents like Richard get under your skin. As we say in the South, he's really nothing more than a gnat on a dog's ass. (I know this is off topic but since it deteriorated to this I had to get in on the fun.) :)

#514 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-01, 06:00

Could someone please delete the last 20 or so posts (I didn't bother to count) so we can discuss the corona virus here instead being hit by a hate virus?

I would be interested in seeing how various countries are opening up, if they are getting into that stage, and what the consequences on the numbers are.

Here, in the Netherlands, stores have been allowed to stay open. People are supposed to stay in, unless they have to get out (to work or to go shopping or even to go walking, running, or biking). In that casse, a distance of 5 ft is necessary. Visiting friends and relatives is out. Mouth masks are not used by the general public (also because we don't have them and need them in health care).

Since a few days, kids under 12 are allowed to go to their sports practices. In about 10 days, the elementary schools will open again.

So, I can't say what the impact of these chages are yet. But how are things where you live?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#515 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2020-May-01, 06:03

I saw an interesting article a couple days back suggesting that some large European cities are looking to use the coronavirus outbreak as an opportunity to implement some of the bike friendly commuting policies that you seen in Amsterdam.

Brussels and Paris were specifically mentioned.
It will be interesting to see how feasible this turns out to be.

Not sure if this is possible here in the North Eastern United States, but it might work well in some areas of the country.
Alderaan delenda est

#516 User is offline   pilowsky 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-01, 06:27

Not so fast - I understand the virus will just go away in the hate - like a miracle...
Non legit hoc

#517 User is online   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2020-May-01, 06:42

View PostTrinidad, on 2020-May-01, 06:00, said:

Could someone please delete the last 20 or so posts (I didn't bother to count) so we can discuss the corona virus here instead being hit by a hate virus?

I would be interested in seeing how various countries are opening up, if they are getting into that stage, and what the consequences on the numbers are.

Here, in the Netherlands, stores have been allowed to stay open. People are supposed to stay in, unless they have to get out (to work or to go shopping or even to go walking, running, or biking). In that casse, a distance of 5 ft is necessary. Visiting friends and relatives is out. Mouth masks are not used by the general public (also because we don't have them and need them in health care).

Since a few days, kids under 12 are allowed to go to their sports practices. In about 10 days, the elementary schools will open again.

So, I can't say what the impact of these chages are yet. But how are things where you live?

Rik

I was quite shocked to find that one of my best friends who works in the Hague on the front desk of a hotel was working throughout (she said the 300 bed hotel had 10-15 rooms in use most of the time) and she was going back from 3 days a week to 4 this week. It will be interesting to see what happens in the Netherlands. She said she had been to see her parents (not particularly at risk) once during the lockdown.

Where I live in the UK, no easing as yet, I go out to the supermarket twice a week and that's it.

#518 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2020-May-01, 08:28

Here in Maryland, population about 6 million, there are about 23,000 confirmed cases and a little over a thousand deaths. A bit more than half of the deaths are patients in nursing homes. We are mostly in lockdown. We can shop for groceries, go to the hardware store, such things as that, wearing a mask.
There were 1730 new cases in the last 24 hours. This is nearly an 8% increase and was a shock. The percentage increase has mostly been under 5 % for maybe the last ten days or so. I hope the 8% is an anomaly.
For me, and for my wife Becky, life has been going along pretty easily. We are retired so we just stay in. And we Zoom some. For the kids and grandkids, it is definitely trickier but manageable so far. A grandson is attending virtual classes at UCLA, he elected to stay on campus, it's pretty isolated, he has a room all to himself, it's fine. A granddaugher was going to pre-K, that's now closed, she is coping. And her parents are coping. But kids need to be out doing things.

On perhaps Monday I heard on NPR (National Public Radio) a report from New Zealand. It sounds like they are doing quite well. I would be interested in hearing more.

Despite the large jump in cases yesterday, I still think well of our governor, Larry Hogan. Maybe not perfect, but definitely a serious guy.

it's just a fact that many are being hit by this in ways that Becky and I only read about. I hope for the best for us all.

Oh. And I mentioned New Zealand. Just by coincidence we have been watching several episodes of Brokenwood Mysteries, set in New Zealand. Not the worst way to spend lockdown time.

And bicycle paths and lanes as an unexpected benefit. Anything that can be done I am all for it. I won't bore you with happy biking stories, but I am all for it.
Ken

#519 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2020-May-01, 09:35

In MA we're not allowed to go outside without a mask. Which is a Catch-22 for me, because I can't figure out how to get a mask without going outside.

I looked on Amazon.com, they all have expected delivery times in mid-May or June. I went to Walgreens.com, they don't have them for delivery. And even if I used a t-shirt as a makeshift mask, none of the local stores have them in stock, either.

Where are people getting masks from?

#520 User is online   kenberg 

Posted 2020-May-01, 09:49

View Postbarmar, on 2020-May-01, 09:35, said:

In MA we're not allowed to go outside without a mask. Which is a Catch-22 for me, because I can't figure out how to get a mask without going outside.

I looked on Amazon.com, they all have expected delivery times in mid-May or June. I went to Walgreens.com, they don't have them for delivery. And even if I used a t-shirt as a makeshift mask, none of the local stores have them in stock, either.

Where are people getting masks from?

Becky ordered 3 at
https://www.youtube....h?v=Rec7OQdFWvY
they came in, she thinks, about 4 or maybe 5 days.
That was maybe two weeks ago.

But previously I was using a scarf, more or less the same way you might if you were out in the cold winter air and wanted to cover up. It was a bit clumsy, the mask is definitely better.
Ken

• 86 Pages +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

45 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 45 guests, 0 anonymous users