BBO Discussion Forums: Robot games: Just Play! instead of Just Declare? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Robot games: Just Play! instead of Just Declare? Is this possible?

#1 User is offline   shyams 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-October-11, 06:53

There is a "just declare" style daylong tournament that is both instructive & fun. However, there is no opportunity to be the defending side in such tournaments.

Is it possible to create a "Just play" tournament (i.e. it does not matter whether we defend or declare, as long as the hands are prebid so that everyone is playing the same contract)?

#2 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-11, 10:30

The point behind "just declare" is that you Never Have To Deal With Stupid Bot Partner. You're given a contract, make it against automated opposition.

"Just play" means you have to trust the (stupid) bot to defend. Which, since you are here as much as I am, you will know is Absolutely Impossible™ (never mind that when the bots defend together, even against human players playing "non-Bot", they tend to score 54% against a club field).

It's a good idea (but I will admit when I play the mobile "anonymous MPs" where it's not best hand, and I'm having one of those "yeah, that means 'worst hand'" days, I get just as frustrated as everyone else about DefenceWithBot. So maybe not?) but I bet it wouldn't fly.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#3 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-11, 12:33

I already have a gripe with "declare" meaning to play the hand as Declarer, the first time I saw "just declare" I imagined it was a bidding contest with no need to play the cards.
I find the idea of always being Declarer stressful and intimidating, to say the least, even if the opponents are three patient (and indifferent) robots, but to each his own.
"Just play" is not so bad, the robot is awful on defence and slam bidding, but overall less stressful than most human partners and always interesting as Declarer whether on the ball or not.

#4 User is offline   thepossum 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-16, 01:56

How about just bid :)

Or Just Opening Lead :)

Or Just Dummy ;)

#5 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-16, 19:18

View Postpescetom, on 2024-October-11, 12:33, said:

I already have a gripe with "declare" meaning to play the hand as Declarer, the first time I saw "just declare" I imagined it was a bidding contest with no need to play the cards.

That probably would be called "Just Bid" games.

For ACBL games, that could have a second meaning where members bid for ACBL masterpoints in online auctions and the people who bid the most get masterpoints deposited into their accounts.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users