BBO Discussion Forums: Announce bids two at a time to avoid ascribing delays - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Announce bids two at a time to avoid ascribing delays So you don't know if P or Opp delayed

#1 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-October-16, 12:10

You can often get hints from delays by P or Opp.
If BBO showed bids two at time, you would not know who delayed.
Yes, TDs would get calls like "NE slow" vs "N slow", but should be able to see who is the problem
This would be fairer to all players.

#2 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-October-16, 15:10

View Post0 carbon, on 2024-October-16, 12:10, said:

You can often get hints from delays by P or Opp.
If BBO showed bids two at time, you would not know who delayed.
Yes, TDs would get calls like "NE slow" vs "N slow", but should be able to see who is the problem
This would be fairer to all players.

It's better than nothing (like f2f behind screens), but why stop there?
You can also show three calls at a time, and introduce delay when necessary too.
There is no technical problem in any of this, it's only a matter of willpower and regulations.

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2024-October-16, 16:11

This suggestion has been made from time to time for many years.

We just don't think this is enough of a problem to justify the change. There are so many non-bridge reasons for online delays, it's hard to take inferences from them.

#4 User is offline   pescetom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2024-October-16, 16:25

View Postbarmar, on 2024-October-16, 16:11, said:

This suggestion has been made from time to time for many years.

We just don't think this is enough of a problem to justify the change. There are so many non-bridge reasons for online delays, it's hard to take inferences from them.

I fully understand that as a commercial enterprise you do not feel obliged to boldly split infinitives where the WBF does not dare.
But to suggest that it is difficult to take inferences from the tempo of a trusted partner online is ingenuous, if not disingenuous.
Electronic play could easily limit this obvious opportunity of flaunting the Laws.
Kudos to the first online platform that actually does so.

#5 User is offline   Aceotto 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted Yesterday, 01:28

slow connection distracted not realizing it’s your bid you take interferace from slow play at your own risk

#6 User is offline   Aceotto 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted Yesterday, 02:28

If your user name would flash when it is your turn to bid or play it would help

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted Yesterday, 02:53

I think it might be ok to offer this option for serious competition like the ALT tourneys and national selection events, but for 99% of BBO play I think the cure is worse than the disease.

It is useful that everyone can know who it is that has a connection problem or may have gone for a dog walk:
- when my LHO is tanking, I know I can go make myself a drink because it will be a while before it is my turn
- when calling the TD because of a delay, it is good that I can indicate in the TD call who is tanking, to ease the work of the TD. And no, this is not trivial to automate, because sometimes a player is not tanking but waiting for a response to a query.
- when a person is tanking an opp can try to wake them up with a PM, or even get someone to give them a phone call
- when taking player notes, I can write if someone is fast or slow so I avoid inviting slow players to a speedball.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   0 carbon 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted Yesterday, 17:45

View PostAceotto, on 2024-October-17, 01:28, said:

slow connection distracted not realizing it's your bid you take interferace from slow play at your own risk

So BEEP! when it's your turn, flash the whole screen, etc., .... BBO can do what it takes, and you can turn it down if not a problem.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

4 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users