BBO Discussion Forums: Cambrige Heart complex after 1C - 1D (0-7)... - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cambrige Heart complex after 1C - 1D (0-7)...

#1 User is offline   foobar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2024-October-18, 22:49

From reading through the old threads, it looks like a variation on Meckwell:

1 - 1 (0-7):

1: Either strong balanced or 4+, F1
.....1: 4+
.....1N: DN
.....2: No fit, not DN
.....2: 3-card fit
.....2: 4-card raise
1: 4+ F1
.....1N: DN
.....2: No fit, not DN
.....2: 3-card fit
.....2: 6+
.....2: 4-card fit
1N: Balanced, NF
2/2: 5+ unbalanced; NF
2: NF 5 + 4m
2: NF 5 + 4m
2N: Minors

This version might have trouble showing GF with 5+M and 4m, since opener will jump to 3m on the 4th round with a GF hand. Some variations use 2 to force 2 and show either GF balanced or GF canape with a 4CM.

Do folks on the forum play this method, and do you find it to be superior to the standard Meckwell treatment?

#2 User is offline   DavidKok 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2024-October-19, 04:20

I do not play it, but have looked into it before and discussed it with PrecisionL.

Helene and I play a 'standard Meckwell treatment' which has quite a few gadgets that I'm not sure are really common. I call it Meck-not-so-lite.
On 1-1; 1M-2 we allow opener to ask for further information with 2, which can be weak (in context). The rebid scheme is straightforward, I'm only showing the 1 case here but 1 is similar. Note that we allow 1-1; 1-2 on a five card suit rather than a six card suit, so those hands are ruled out by the 2 bid. The range for every bid is 5-7, no need to go to a tigher range after the 2 bid:
1-1; 1M-2; 2-?
  • 2: 4
  • 2: Punt, typically 2=3=5=3, 2=3=4=4 or 2=3=3=5.
  • 2NT: Both minors, at least 5-4 either way.
  • 3: 6(+).
  • 3: 6(+).
This 2 asking bid normally contains flexible hands both weak and strong, but can also we used on the strong balanced hands on 1-1; 1-2 as well as the GF 5M4(+)m hands. Responder has already denied three-card support, so us having a fifth piece rather than the promised 4 is normally not that important. This way the 3m rebids over 2 can be reserved for the weak canapé hands (GF hands go through 2).

In a similar way the bid 1-1; 1M-2; 2NT is a generic game forcing asking bid. Here though I would play a 3m rebid instead as a GF hand - weaker hands can sign off in the 4-3 fit in 2M. It's not that a Moysian is great, but trying to improve the partscore takes us past the point of no return. Plus, on this auction the opponents do not know what it is a Moysian, which can help a little by making their defence (or balancing decision) more difficult.

The auctions over the double negative and the 1-1; 1-1 are not as clean, and require more effort.

#3 User is offline   PrecisionL 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Diamond LM (6700+ MP)
    God
    Family
    Counseling
    Bridge

Posted 2024-October-19, 07:32

Yes, I have played a version of the Cambridge Heart Complex in two partnerships for over 15 years and absolutely love it!
NOTE: 1 - 1 - 1 = (a) 4+, or (b) 2+ and balanced 20+ hcp is how we play.

The original Cambridge Heart Complex is 5+ or balanced and 19+ hcp.

Johnson-Berkowitz notes by Don Varvel was my introduction:

Responder is allowed to rebid 2 or higher with 5-7 hcp.

Also, see bridgebase.com/forums/1C(Strong) for responder's rebids.

Ultra Relay: see Daniel's web page: https://bridgewithda...19/07/Ultra.pdf
C3: Copious Canape Club is still my favorite system. (Ultra upgraded, PM for notes)

Santa Fe Precision published 8/19. TOP3 published 11/20. Magic experiment (Science Modernized) with Lenzo. 2020: Jan Eric Larsson's Cottontail . 2020. BFUN (Bridge For the UNbalanced) 2021: Weiss Simplified (Canape & Relay). 2022: Canary Modernized, 2023-4: KOK Canape.

#4 User is offline   Robertn2 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2024-October-20, 07:31

I have played Cambridge Heart Complex as part of Oliver Clarke's Precision System (OCP), as described at http://ocp.pigpen.org.uk/1c.php

The idea of showing balanced hand ranges via a 1 rebid is the same in Oliver's version as the one that foobar described, but the follow-ups are different. In particular, the 1 rebid by responder does not guarantee 4+ spades. Responder automatically makes the 1 rebid, even with support for hearts, with a few exceptions.

In OCP, 4441 16+ hands are opened with 2, so the 1 and 1 rebids by opener (after 1 - 1) usually have 5+ cards and a 4-4 spade fit can be located using Stayman if opener shows a NT hand.

My experience is that the system of NT ranges works well. The main issue I have with the overall OCP scheme is remembering which specific hands are exceptions to 1 for responder's rebid.

Rob

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users