BBO Discussion Forums: 2 Spades or Pass? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 Spades or Pass? 2/1 ACBL

Poll: 2 Spades or Pass (34 member(s) have cast votes)

2 Spades or Pass

1. 2 Spades (25 votes [73.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 73.53%

2. Pass (9 votes [26.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.47%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dickiegera 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2012-August-21, 14:32

Do you bid 2 here or do you pass and wait to bid later if partner reopens the bidding?

#2 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2012-August-21, 14:48

It's a terrible hand but at least the hearts are well placed.

wyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

rbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#3 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 15:28

I pass. I don't want partner to get too excited. If partner has the sort of hand which can use my , then the opponent's will likely be able to get a few ruffs in before that happens. So I have a completely flat hand, with 10 losers, fewer than 6 effective points and no intermediates except in the opponent's suit. I certainly don't want to encourage partner to sacrifice in 4 if LHO jumps to 4

#4 User is offline   quiddity 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 16:26

I would raise. There's a danger that partner will over-compete but there are dangers in passing too. For one thing it puts a lot of pressure on partner to reopen with minimal or off-shape hands. Obviously it will be bad for us if 2H is passed out and we were making 2S. For another, it makes LHO's life easier. He has an easy cuebid with an invitational hand. He doesn't have to stretch to compete with a marginal hand.

#5 User is offline   Foxx 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being quick, brown, and foxy; Jumping over lazy dogs

Posted 2012-August-21, 16:30

If RHO had not overcalled, my response wouldn't be 2, it would be 1NT, so I wouldn't raise here. But this hand is very close to the line. Move the J into the spade suit, so the hand is Jxx K10x Q763 652, and I would raise, with or without RHO's 2 bid.

#6 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2012-August-21, 16:43

Pass. My hand just got much worse offensively, and it started out as a fricking 1 control 4-3-3-3 six count with 3 trumps headed by the 5.
Chris Gibson

#7 User is offline   Quantumcat 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Archery, classical guitar, piano, watercolour painting, programming, french

Posted 2012-August-21, 17:52

I raise - but pard knows I need no values to do this. Pard usually gets his defence right if I always raise with 3.
I Transfers

#8 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2012-August-21, 18:10

2S of course.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#9 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2012-August-21, 18:34

2 for me. Not happy with being flat nor having 3 small trumps but my are well placed and I consider it very important to show support with support and to bid over quickly.

#10 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2012-August-21, 20:12

I'm bidding 2 . After the opponents intervene, I raise pretty aggressively especially at the 2 level.

If partner sacrifices and goes for a number, that's partner's problem.

#11 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 21:11

2 at the speed of light. Why should they have an easy run when we own gods suit?
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#12 User is offline   Siegmund 

• Alchemist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creator of the 'grbbridge' LaTeX typesetting package.

Posted 2012-August-21, 21:43

Why would I wait? Am I really considering passing partner's double of 2H!?

I would raise immediately. The hand is plenty bad enough to not quite be worth it -- but if I pass and then bid 2S I don't think partner is any closer to visualizing this hand.

#13 User is offline   rwbarton 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-21, 22:10

I wouldn't be thrilled about it but I would raise. At least partner is unlikely to be on lead if we defend.

#14 User is offline   SteveMoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Family, Travel, Bridge Tournaments and Writing. Youth Bridge

Posted 2012-August-22, 01:57

I think this is a clear pass. KJ are values partner expects me to have elsewhere. Since EW don't have KJ they have something equivalent where we need strength in a 2 contract. I have no ruffing values and only 3 small . Pass and hope they get too high.
Be the partner you want to play with.
Trust demands integrity, balance and collaboration.
District 11
Unit 124
Steve Moese

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 05:30

I don't understand why our KJx lost its value, RHO bid them not LHO. This was a dubious value which now became almost sure 2 tricks value.

I don't understand the concerns about shape or "not offensive hand" comments, 2 neither promises an offensive hand nor any shape.

I don't understand the complaints about our strength either, out hand perfectly fits in the range that 2 shows.

I think pass is awfully wrong, i think making such early decisions and hiding support from pd while we can, perfectly with in the range which 2 shows, is wrong.

I don't understand why even a simple limit bid with support becomes a hand of master analysis hand in forums. Especially in this forum.

There are many more things that makes me disagree with passers but i am too tired and going to bed :)
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#16 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 06:25

I think it's easiest to bid now, otherwise you'll have some tough decision later and will regret not having supported.

#17 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 10:10

View PostMrAce, on 2012-August-22, 05:30, said:

I don't understand why our KJx lost its value, RHO bid them not LHO. This was a dubious value which now became almost sure 2 tricks value.

I don't understand the concerns about shape or "not offensive hand" comments, 2 neither promises an offensive hand nor any shape.

I don't understand the complaints about our strength either, out hand perfectly fits in the range that 2 shows.

I think pass is awfully wrong, i think making such early decisions and hiding support from pd while we can, perfectly with in the range which 2 shows, is wrong.

I don't understand why even a simple limit bid with support becomes a hand of master analysis hand in forums. Especially in this forum.

There are many more things that makes me disagree with passers but i am too tired and going to bed :)

Awfully strong statement. What would it take for you to pass, removing the J of hearts? If it is that close, and a non-working value, then stop being axiomatic and think about the possible play of the hand.

If the KJT was in any other suit, it would be much more likely to build tricks. If we had any other values, it might be worth upgrading. But in a minimum like we have here, opener can hold up his ace once and dummy is dead for all practical purposes.

The other reason for passing is that when RHO bids 2H on a bad suit like this, he is more likely to have outside compensating values. This means that partner's values are likely sitting wrong.

I pass because I believe we are more likely to go plus defending 2H then we are playing 2S unless partner can reopen with a double. This is a corrollary to the law of total tricks - 4333 is a negative law adjustment, as is values in their suit.

Yes, 2S is in range if responder had not made a call. But responder's calls change my evaluation all of the time, and change what is appropriate with any given hand.
Chris Gibson

#18 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-22, 10:55

2. Some more axioms:

- Bidding spades when they have hearts and its close works out whenever either 2 or 2 makes.
- My range for 2 is much wider when my RHO takes a call.
- The auction is not over - LHO may take a call over 2, and thats a good thing.

Side note - I have a way to show a mixed raise over 2, which is important for partner's evaluation and his decision to bid 3 over 3, so I'm even more comfortable bidding 2.

Granted, partner would pass 2 with a weak NT hand and three hearts, but he'd also pass 2 with a weak NT hand holding two hearts.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2012-August-22, 10:56

View PostSteveMoe, on 2012-August-22, 01:57, said:

I think this is a clear pass. KJ are values partner expects me to have elsewhere. Since EW don't have KJ they have something equivalent where we need strength in a 2 contract. I have no ruffing values and only 3 small . Pass and hope they get too high.

I think this is backwards. I would much rather have KJT + xxx than the other way around.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   CSGibson 

• Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2012-August-22, 11:14

I would also like to say that I think this is a close decision (ie, change very little about the hand and I would act), but I also believe that pass is clearly right.

I think pass is going to have us go plus more often then bidding - we have 2+ defensive tricks, while partner is for practical purposes playing the whole thing out of his hand in spades.

Passing also makes it harder for opponents to get to their right minor suit fit if their spot isn't hearts, because it removes double from the table.

Partner will not let 2H be the final contract with a stiff heart, and will not frequently pass it out with a small doubleton, either. Passing does not preclude playing 2S, it just keeps partner from over-competing to 3 as often.
Chris Gibson

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users